Friday, September 30, 2011

Screwtape Letters.

I decided I would try digging into The Screwtape Letters a little more this week. The book is full of satire, because it is written by a Christian named C.S. Lewis (widely famous for writing The Chronicles of Narnia), who is narrating from a demon's point of view. The demon is named Screwtape, and each passage is a letter he has written to his demon nephew named Wormwood. So far from what I've read, I have learned that Screwtape is giving Wormwood advice on how to either a) convert a Christian back to nothing or b) keep a human from ever becoming a Christian in the first place. Each demon has a specific "mortal" that they are attached to, and they are to secure the damnation of the mortal to Hell.

I've laughed a few times while reading the book. Screwtape refers to the devil as "Our Father", while referring to God as "The Enemy." Being a Christian, I find this to be the exact opposite of what I believe. While this book is somewhat funny, its also really scary and serious as well. Its scary to believe that demons actually plot all this stuff against you to try to get you to do what you know you shouldn't. I think reading this book is really going to help me with my faith, because the goal of the demons according to this book is to get you to not think about what your doing and whether its God-honoring, and I will be much more wise and thoughtful about the things I do. Another major theme of this book is temptation, and whether humans have the ability to resist it. Although I am able to resist temptation over the big things in a teenager's life such as drugs, alcohol, and sex, I sometimes have trouble resisting the temptations to get mad at people over stupid things, and to stay mad at people when I know I should forgive them. I think this book is helping me to resist those temptations as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment