Wednesday, September 7, 2011

James Franco--great actor, scary author

This week I started reading Palo Alto stories by James Franco. Its a lot different from other books I've read in the past, because its a lot more vivid. I usually read pretty upbeat stories that don't have a lot of greusome detail, but this book is different. It tells the stories of a bunch of different high school guys and girls in California--the not so happy stories. All of these kids have troubles with drugs, alcohol, and sex.

I can't relate to this book much because I have never gotten into any of those things, but it kinda opens my eyes to the fact that this kind of stuff does go on in high school. This book contains stories of people getting killed and people getting arrested because of stupid mistakes such as these, and it makes me grateful that I was taught not to be involved in destructive behaviors.

James Franco, in my opinion, isn't really my favorite to read because his sentence structure is kind of the same throughout the book. He kind of writes like a 15 year old kid, which I guess would make sense because he's writing through a high schooler's point of view....hmmm, I guess I just realized that. I suppose Franco is a pretty smart writer after all! I'm about 2/3 through the book, and when I put it down, I'm always eager to start reading again.

No comments:

Post a Comment