Thursday, September 8, 2011

Torn...

I've been reading two different books this week and I'm trying to decide which one I want to finish first. I've been reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King and then also Palo Alto stories by James Franco. Both are really good, but I think I'm just going to finish up Palo Alto, because it is so short and more intense at this point. In Bag of Bones, I'm in one of the more lethargic part of the story where not much is happening.

In Bag of Bones this week, I learned more about what Mike's wife did before the year she died. Apparently she had purchased two plastic owls, which don't seem very important at this moment, but I feel like they'll play an important part later. Also, Mike is encountered by Max Devore, the billionaire, the one trying to gain custody of Kyra. He and the "bag of bones" woman that's always with him find him walking down "The Street," and kind of start bullying him. Although Max is extremely old and breathes with an oxygen tank, he still calls Mike (and Max's daughter-in-law Mattie) some unthinkable names. Eventually, Max charges at Mike in his wheelchair and Mike falls into the river, while Max  and the "bag of bones" woman cackle at him. Max is determined to win this custody battle.

In Palo Alto, Franco is describing the stories of several different teens, and the stories are kind of shocking to me. I'm surprised at the fact that these kind of things actually happen to teenagers my age. I've never been exposed to the experiences in these stories before, and its kind of eye-opening because I sort of picture this perfect little word, and facing the truth that the world is far from perfect is a bit scary. For instance, these kids are growing up in homes where their parents actually allow them to smoke and drink--WITH THEM. I don't know about most kids at Homestead, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be caught dead with weed or alcohol, especially in front of my parents. Knowing how much trouble I'd be in and the fact that there would be consequences, I just stay away from it altogether.

The week's almost over and I have a pretty busy weekend ahead of me. Football game, last-minute ACT's before college application time, cross country practice, going out of town, and youth group all in 3 days. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit my reading in, but all I know is that I'm sad to finish these two books. It's sad to finish a book because once you get into a book, you don't ever want it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment