Thursday, October 13, 2011

Currently.....last week (week 7)

It by Stephen King  70-159   89 pages
Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis  65-105 40 pages 

Total this week: 139 pages
Total this semester: 1,004 pages

Favorite sentences this quarter:

1. It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out.

This came from the Screwtape Letters, and I really like this because it puts things into a new perspective for me. Typically I see it as the devil's main goal is to put evil thoughts into our mind. But even when we have these evil thoughts once in a while, God still forgives us. That's why the main goal of the devil is to keep the pure and healthy thoughts OUT of our head, in order to let the evil flow in.

2. "We all have a voice or style, but it takes practice, practice to find it."

This is from Palo Alto stories, and although it's my third time posting it, I still really enjoy the quote. I always think about it whether I'm referring to cross country, choosing a college or major, or even just sitting with my friends. We all really do have our own voice, but sometimes we hide it underneath everything else because we're scared to really search for it.

3. "We kicked them until the lion lost its face; it was bent inward, the eyes all wrong."

This quote is also from Palo Alto stories, and it's a weird sentence to choose, but I still like it because it shows their transition from innocence to rebellion. The lion face is on a rocking horse type thing, where they used to play and rock back and forth on as young kids. I just find it kind of sad that all their years as kids have passed already and now they're smoking and drinking and doing anything to vandalize the school--and they just don't care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment