Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bag of Bones Blog 1

So I started this book called Bag of Bones by Stephen King. I've always been interested in reading his novels, but I've never gotten around to it until now. The first three chapters have already had so much detail that I don't want to stop reading the book. The main character is Michael Noonan, a novelist in the 80's and 90's. In the first chapter, you learn that his wife, Johanna, has recently died due to a brain aneurysm. The odd thing about her death, according to Michael, is that she was discovered to be about 2 months pregnant in the autopsy. He found this odd because they had been trying for a baby for years, and this would typically be news that she should have been anxious to share with him... In the next couple chapters, no major plot points occur except for the fact that he has reoccuring nightmares of the Sara Laughs mansion that he and his wife used to live in sometimes.
So far I've felt kind of dragged into the story already. King uses alot of sensory detail and does a lot of work appealing to the emotions. Although this doesn't really tie in to anything happening in my life right now, I still kind of feel drawn to it because Michael talks about his wife's death alot and the emotions he faces in dealing with that. Because I've never experienced a loved one dying, I've always wondered and been nervous about how I'm going to respond to it when it eventually happens. In one instance, the main character Michael sees the book his wife was reading before she died and turns to the page where she stopped. He had still been in denial about his wife's death up to this point until the moment he realized that she would never know the next line of that book--that she would never read again. At this point, Michael totally breaks down, and this kind of scares me because I never want to experience that realization point when you have to accept the fact that someone is gone and will never come back. 
Although I've literally just started the book, I'm already dying to know what happens in the rest of these 529 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment